Thursday, August 19, 2010

Driving to the US from Canada to pick up my cat--need advise?

Next month my boyfriend will be driving over the border to NY to pick up my 6 year old cat. The cat is currently with my mother who is stubborn about taking her to the vet for a note etc. Everything seems hopeless-I miss her so much and I feel like I'm never going to get her.


Is the boarder really strict on bring a cat into Canada? Just from NY?Driving to the US from Canada to pick up my cat--need advise?
The Canadian government website(search under 'pet importing') says that a cat from the US must have a rabies vaccination, and the papers to prove it, along with a description of the cat from the vet. It says that it doesn't matter how long it is before the cat crosses the border that the vaccine is given, so if your mother really doesn't get around to it, maybe your boyfriend could have it done that day. The site also says that if an animal arrives at the border without such documentation, the customs people can require that the cat be vaccinated and the owner provide documentation later to prove it's been done. In my experience, several years ago, when I found a cat and brought it home with me from Sudbury to BC via the US, no one asked for any papers which was good because the cat was a stray when I found it and didn't have any papers. Chances are good that if the cat is in a carrier in the back of the car, they won't even know it's there, and never volunteer information at customs. Just answer the questions they ask.Driving to the US from Canada to pick up my cat--need advise?
You must have in hand a certificate from the vet proving that the cat has been vacinated within the last two years for rabies and distemper. Failure to provide such documentation will result in access for the pet being denied.

No comments:

Post a Comment