Monday, August 23, 2010

Anyone have advise for intro. of new dog to cat?

I'm adopting a rat terrier this afternoon, he is 9mos. old. I have a four year old cat at home, anyone have any advise on how to introduce them without them attacking each other?Anyone have advise for intro. of new dog to cat?
I recently brought home a 6 1/2 week old Lab puppy. I have a cat which is 1 1/2 years old. I had the cat first so that did help a lot!!!!





When we brought the puppy home I kept her in one room so I could keep a close watch on her. I let the cat come up to the puppy on her own!!! Since the puppy was so small that helped a lot. The cat was bigger than the puppy so the puppy was kind of scared to start off with!!





The cat would come up to the puppy and smell on her. I always made sure the cat had a safe place to go to . A room where she could be by herself. I have a gate up where the cat can go and sleep in the spare bedroom. I keep the litter box in our bathroom along with the food and water for the cat. You want to make sure the puppy doesn't get the cat food!!





My cat likes to be in the living room where we all are at. So I have a high place so she can stay away from our puppy but she can see all what is going on as well!!





My cat has been the one that starts all the playing. She will run and jump on our puppy. I keep telling our puppy to be careful. With your dog being so small I don't think you have to worry about your dog hurting the cat!





Make sure you give your cat a lot of attention. You don't want the cat to get jealous and start making messes in the house.





Good LuckAnyone have advise for intro. of new dog to cat?
Have them in adjacent rooms with a baby gate in between so they can get used to both the sight and scent of each other. Only when they seem relatively calm, can you let them together, making sure the cat can get away from the puppy. They don't need to be friends, only tolerate each other, so you're going to need patience, especially with a puppy who's instinct is to chase the cat (he is a terrier).
i had a rat terrior and i loved her but she was extremely hyper. So i wouldnt let the cat and the dog out by themselves bc im sure you would have problems. Try holding both of them to let them smell eachother and things like that. Make sure u put both of them in seperate rooms when you leave home until they get used to one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment