Monday, August 23, 2010

Can someone advise as to a free/low cost criminal legal aid/attorney for a misdemeanor offense?

I am in legal trouble for a class 1 misdemeanor/ no victim involved. I was granted a public pretender who was unwilling to advance a valid defense in my behalf and only pushed for an expedited case through plea bargain. Now things have snowballed and I stand to go to jail which will cause me to lose my home, job, vehicle, community credibility, etc. I cannot find any REAL and ACTUAL local legal aid. I am not wealthy and have already spent all my savings and more on fines, etc. This is a nonviolent crime involving simple possession of about $2 worth of pot. The courts have lawyers and I don't. This doesn't seem like justice to me. I can't even get the public defender to listen or validate my side of this matter. I am being pushed along and can't seem to stop this now. Help please. Don't lecture me about pot, I need help, not sarcasm. Thank youCan someone advise as to a free/low cost criminal legal aid/attorney for a misdemeanor offense?
wow, i find this hard to imagine - how can such a small amount of weed carry likely jail time - i don't get it.





that said, just go online and do some research and find a lawyer service - they are out there and some are very good and very smart.





usually these guys will give you a free consultation - basically a free hour of time where you can explain your entire situation and they can try to win you as a client.





a friend of mine used one of these services to find a local attorney who he was able to pay in installments. the whole cost ended up being about $2500.00 - paid in installments of about $750.00. this guy totally got the job done and my friend got a continuance without a finding - meaning that if he stays out of trouble while he's on probation, he will not have a criminal record after his probation is up.





the whole thing came down to getting some continuances and then having the case pled before a judge that this attorney knew would be sympathetic.





go and talk to some lawyers, they will at least give you a consult for free and find someone who can get the job done.





also, start seeing a therapist - don't even ask why, just do it - it helped my friend.





good luck - the law can be brainless at times...Can someone advise as to a free/low cost criminal legal aid/attorney for a misdemeanor offense?
Contact your state's Bar Association. In almost every state attorneys are required to complete a certain # of ProBono hours each year. (40 hours in Arkansas.) Also, just because you THINK you have a valid defense, it may not legally be a defense at all.
You can ask for a court appointed att. They tell you when they read you your rights.
Try calling the United Way, I don't know if where you are they have a legal aid agency, but, it's worth a try. They may not take these kinds of cases as many agencies of the United Way are hurting for $$$.


Holy Cow, Can I ask what state you are in? This seems pretty severe for that small of an amount. I'm assuming it is a small amount, considering what you hear on the news that they arrest people with. They must not have problems with prison overcrowding.


If all else fails, I would tell that court, that your appointed attorney is not following your wishes and that you do not wish to plea bargain. I would very respectfully!!!!!!! request another attorney.





That would be a severe penalty to loose your home, car and so on. Is it possible, since it's a non-victim crime, to get work release?





PS


That was an excellent suggestion, Gracie
See if there is a local law school in your area. They may have legal clinics.

No comments:

Post a Comment