Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Need advise on medication for adult with ADHD?

Ritalin, Adderall, Wellbutrin etc.





Common side effects


How easily addictive





He may be mildly Bi polar vs. severely ADD.





He is nearly 50 father of 3 %26amp; very overweight.





And is perpetually unemployed due to his problems.


So he is also perpetually poor %26amp; can't afford to go to a counselor or psychiatrist on a regular basis.





HELP!Need advise on medication for adult with ADHD?
Okay, for all the drugs you mentioned, simply go to http://www.drugs.com and do a search for them and it'll tell you side effects and addictiveness profile in laymen's terms.





In terms of attention deficit d/o I like Vyvanse, professionally, as I've seen good results with it; it's slow release and not as addictive as adderall, you can look up that drug as well as the others you asked about.





All my best to you.


RGNeed advise on medication for adult with ADHD?
wellbutrin is an antidepressant. Ritalin and adderall are drugs parents give to their kids who have anxiety problems, don''t want to admit it, and thus aren't performing well. Adderall is HIGHLY addictive, it is a stimulant. It sounds like this man needs therapy, ADD/ADHD, are only symptoms of larger problems, usually anxiety combined with depression or bipolar disorder. I would see a psychiatrist and cover it from all angles before you make a decision with a doctor on what medicines to take. Antidepressants aren't addictive so to speak, but bipolar disorder and some cases are biological, so patients will need to take them the rest of their lives to function efficiently and in a healthy manner.
Im an adult with Attention Deficit Disorder (or Difference as I prefer to call it) it is a real condition, albeit not a sickness. Some people do end up taking medication for it, and it helps alot. It's not necessary as in a medication for diabetes is necessary. I consider it a a lifestyle choice.





Although, Ive taken each of the medications you've asked about and can give you a quick snapshot of how it affected me, each person is different and will react different to medications. Ritalin and Adderall are both stimulants and have a similar effect. They both worked at getting rid of the chronic procrastination that I experienced. I found that I could think more clearly, and got tons more done. I excersized alot more too! Both can be a little bit addictive, but I never had any trouble going off of either medications. They are not a miracle cure for all of life's troubles. He isnt going to suddenly get a great job and make lots of money.. The effects are typically more subtle.





Side effects: dry mouth, a little nervous energy, being grouchy, especially when the medicine was wearing off, headache. The benefits outweighed the side effects by far.





Wellbutrin.. I dont think it's specifically indicated for ADD, but I did take it. It didnt work that well for me in terms of ADD relief. I did feel good though. I took it before I tried Adderall. On Wellbutrin, I lost 8 pounds, after I started taking Adderall, I lost another 25 or so. Without even trying.





If you are taking any of these meds you HAVE to be monitored by a doctor. My side effects were very mild, but they can be serious, and some deadly cardiac side effects have been seen in conjunction with Adderall.





good luck.. hope this helps..
For ADD you should take a placebo - fake meds for a fake disease.
  • eyeshadow stick
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment