Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Please read scenario and advise.......Am I entitled to a redundancy payment? What are my options?

I have been with my employers since January 2004. I began in the call centre and was there for 18 months before securing a role in another department on a 6 month secondment.





After the 6 months expired, it was extended for another 6 months after which I was told that due to structural reorganisation, my secondment would be like a ';running contract'; - they will keep me on the team for as long as they can but I could risk going back to the call centre at any time.


After which I applied and got a higher role in the same department - again on a 6 month secondment.





I have just found out today that my team is being made redundant. I've been told that my job is safe but I risk going back to the call centre if I am unsuccessful in applying for the vacancies created by the company reshuffle. The team will be defunct and my colleagues will receive redundancy payments if they are unsuccesful/or choose not to apply for these vacancies.





Am I entitled to redundancy? What are my options?Please read scenario and advise.......Am I entitled to a redundancy payment? What are my options?
If you are in the UK the answer is as follows:





Youa re legally redundant if your job disappears, or the need for the type of work you do diminishes or your company relocates and you do not have a contractual mobility clause.





The company is obliged to consult you before selecting you for, or making you, redundant. They are obliged to consider suitable alternative positions in the company.





If they do not do these things, you are unfairly dismissed.





On the facts you have outlined, you are entitled to redundancy - unless you are re-assigned to the call centre.


Your options are governed by whether you wish to stay and be re-assigned, or take the redudancy pay and move elsewhere.





Hope this helpsPlease read scenario and advise.......Am I entitled to a redundancy payment? What are my options?
I don't think you will as they are going to put you back in another area of the company.





Best join a union and get then to look at the paperwork etc. GMB is very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment