Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Please can I get advise on primary school teaching?

I want to apply to uni to study primary school teaching next year. I have been trying to find out what I need to do and am finding the whole thing very confusing!





I want to study it as distance learning as I am 26 and need to work full time to pay rent etc. I wanted to do it through the Open Unversity but they don't offer that degree. Is there any way I can do it mostly from home? How does the whole process work? Please can someone help before I ull all my hair out!! ;-) Thanks! x xPlease can I get advise on primary school teaching?
Hiyas!


The thing with primary school teaching, as I noticed some of the others have mentioned, is that it is very hands-on oriented. I know now a days you can take a good bulk of the classes online until you hit the point where you are focusing strictly on your major (Junior and Senior year).


I got through my degree (elementary ed) by pulling a lot of loans and scholarships. I lived off campus, paid rent + utilities and worked on campus part-time for extra income. It was a bumpy couple of years, but I made more in 1 year teaching to cover the 5 yrs of cost going to college, so it's worth it in the end.


Keep in mind with education, they will want you to do a lot of the stuff physically...like when you do your internships and field studies. If you wish to continue on in education after your undergrad, like I currently am, they really want to see how much actual experience you have...either from substituting, class requirements, student teaching, daycare help, etc. That might be hard for you to do with your current situation, but look at it as everything you do is resume worthy, and schools love seeing how much 'extra' you put in to get to where you are at.Please can I get advise on primary school teaching?
This kind of degree doesn't work with on-line or at home programs. It is very hands on and discussion oriented. In my experience I had to give lots of presentations, complete many group projects, and things that I NEEDED to be in a classroom setting for. Additionally, you have to do a lot of classroom observations and student teaching internships.
Well, here there is a program set up through the local community college that works with another university. The program is specifically for people in your situation. They have night classes and weekend classes. You should check with your surrounding schools to see if anything like this is available. The last semester is a practicum so you would have to do observations and student teaching in a school at that point.
First things first, you need to go to your local community college to see an academic adviser. Usually they know exactly wht classes u need to take on the campus and others which you can take on line. Now, the things that need to be taken in the campus are like: group related / interaction with kids/ observation/presentations, most of the time these classes are taught in the morning hours. Others such as english,math, etc can be taken on-line. But go and call your adacemic adviser at your local comm. college and set an appointment ASAP so that you know first hand wht subjects require wht type of enviroment for teaching. Best of Luck

No comments:

Post a Comment