Wednesday, November 23, 2011

I need your advise on on line AA or Bachelor's degree from the University of Phoenix ?

I want to start an online degree course with the University of Phoenix, can someone advise me if this would not be a waste of my time and money and if it really worth to spend money on. Please picture yourself in my position and give me a sincere advise.I need your advise on on line AA or Bachelor's degree from the University of Phoenix ?
I have to disagree with some of the preceding comments. I took courses online from UoP until I could no longer afford them, and then I transferred to a public university (from which I am graduating in 9 days). The UoP curriculum for my area of study was much better than that of the public university. Of course, that experience may be due to the major itself (Information Technology). I can't swear to what other programs are like. So, like everything else, your mileage may vary.I need your advise on on line AA or Bachelor's degree from the University of Phoenix ?
The U of Phoenix is so famous because they have an excellent marketing program, not because they are a good school. Don't confuse marketing fluff with quality.





In general, as others have said, an online degree from a school without a strong brick and mortar reputation will only get you so far. If it's physically impossible for you to attend a university in person, then an online program may be your only option. In that case, in addition to U of Phoenix, I also ask that you consider online/distance learning programs from other schools which have better academic reputations - and there are plenty. One I've mentioned before, just as an example, is the University of Massachusetts at Amherst. They offer degrees online, and also have a strong offline reputation for academics.





Then again, the school you pick is dependant on a lot of factors. But do keep in mind that what employers think afterwards does count. In general, a degree from U Phoenix, or Devry, or ITT Tech, may get you more than no degree at all. But if you're being compared against candidates with degrees from stronger schools, then...I'm sorry, but most employers do take that sort of thing into consideration.
I'm a CPA and have hired/fired/supervised people for about 10 years. I wouldn't hire anyone with an online degree unless I knew them well, or they had lots of quality experience in the field.





All in all, I personally think it would probably make you a stronger person to do it, but I wouldn't count on it helping you get a job in your field of study.
I am not sure of your situation or physical location, but it would be MUCH better to get an AA from a local community college than pay WAY more to Phoenix...although an AA does not get you much respect in the workplace. As a matter of fact, a B.S. or B.A. are not nearly as respected as 20 years ago. Hang in there for a Masters...
I know a lot of people who earned degrees with the University of Phoenix, and they are finding great jobs. In my area a University of Phoenix degree is just as good as from a ';traditional'; university.
Well, I'm finishing my Masters Degree online but not from Phoenix University. I think that it must be a halfway decent school otherwise it wouldn't be so well known. You should get the Bachelor's. You can't really do much with just an A.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment